Day 21 – A recipe
I was going to make this tonight but had a really shitty day at work today that involved lots of crying. So I came home and crawled under the covers and hide away from the world. Here is the recipe
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
6 Tbs Bailey's Irish Cream
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 12-hole muffin pans.
- Put the chocolate to melt over a low heat with the Bailey's and the brown sugar. Stir often to blend to a smooth mixture.
- In the meantime, cream the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs one by one.
- Sift the dry ingredients into another bowl.
- Add the milk and the dry ingredients gradually to the butter mixture, alternating wet and dry. Once they are completely incorporated, add the chocolate mixture.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes (although again my oven is crazy - so check on them).
Enough to frost 18 cupcakes.
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
3 tbsp baileys
- Combine the egg whites and sugar into a heatproof bowl and whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is as hot as you can get it without the egg whites cooking.
- With the whisk attachment on your mixer whisk the egg white and sugar mixture on high speed until a stiff meringue is formed and the mix has cooled down to room temperature.
- Now put the paddle attachment on your mixer and with the mixer on a low speed add a tablespoon or two of butter at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix until the mixture is light and fluffy again.
- Add the vanilla extract and baileys and mix on medium speed until the SMBC is a good piping texture.