Monday, May 3, 2010

Cinco De Mayo

In honor of  Cinco De Mayo on Wednesday, I wanted to make a Mexican dish. At first I thought tacos or burritos, but everyone know how to make those. So I googled Cinco de Mayo food and came up with Sopes!

3 cups masa harina (all purpose flour will do)
2 cups warm water

1 tablespoon salt
oil for frying

Combine the flour, 2 cups of water and salt until a soft dough forms. If dough seems dry, add water by the teaspoon until soft. On a lightly floured surface, knead until all ingredients are well combined, about 5 minutes.

P5020717

Roll small balls out of the dough, 1 inch for small, 2 inch for regular size, 3 inch for large sized sopes. By hand, press each ball to about ½ inch thick. Or use two pieces of parchment paper, sandwiching the ball, and pressing with a plate. Use a drinking glass that the bottoms diameter is smaller than the pressed out dough. Press the glass bottom into the center of the dough; flatten the center and allowing a ridge to rise. Use parchment paper to keep the glass from sticking.

Heat 1/4 inch of hot oil in a frying pan, fry the dough on both sides until lightly golden brown and cooked thoroughly. Garnish with one of the following toppings, and serve immediately.

P5030737
P5030738

I used whole wheat flour, so mine are a little darker than normal.

P5020721

For toppings I put refried beans, black beans, chicken, cherry tomato, homemade guacamole, and cheese.

P5020723

I used Hungry Girl’s Guacamole Recipe
Surprisingly, the man loved it. He thought I had put other guacamole in it too.

P5020724

I made my own salsa too, I just put tomatoes, green pepper, onion, cilantro, and a little lime juice into the magic bullet.

And for desert I made Flan, I was very surprised at how good it was, I’ve only had flan one other time I actually liked.

P5030739