Monday, May 31, 2010

Shrimp on the Barbie

Living in the middle of the country, we obviously don’t have fresh seafood, despite what the sign at Price Chopper says. Ever since I was little, I never really ate seafood. I used to eat fish sticks, until my grandma was like “I don’t eat fish cause the water is polluted.” And from then on, fish grossed me out. Recently I have been trying some. We went out Friday for his mom’s birthday to Red Lobster, I had a bite of her lobster, some lobster pizza, and some of his shrimp. Then Saturday for dinner I had fish and chips. So in looking through my cook book, I saw a shrimp recipe and decided to try it. Her recipe is cooked in the oven, we cooked ours on the barbecue grill.

Bacon Bundled Shrimp

PER SERVING (4 pieces): 116 calories, 1.75g fat, 587mg sodium, 7g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 16g protein -- POINTS® value 2*
HG's spin on a super-decadent appetizer that everyone'll love...

Ingredients:
16 large (not jumbo) raw shrimp; peeled, deveined, tails removed
8 slices  Turkey Bacon
1/3 cup canned tomato sauce
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cut bacon slices in half and set aside. Mix together tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and garlic powder.P5310139

Lightly spray a baking pan with nonstick spray.
Take one piece of bacon (half a slice), and coat it in the sauce. Wrap the sauce-covered bacon around a piece of shrimp, and place it seam side down on the baking pan. Repeat with the rest of the bacon and shrimp, and then give them a quick mist with nonstick spray.

P5310141


Place pan in the oven and cook until shrimp are cooked through and bacon is crispy (about 10 - 15 minutes).
MAKES 4 SERVINGS   P5310142 

P5310150 The complete meal:
Turkey Burger on thin bun,
Bacon wrapped Shrimp,
Cheddar Biscuits, and
Watermelon

 chair
Update: Neighbor’s yard, still not mowed, now can’t see chair at all
Someone mowed in the side of his yard “MO-ME”
I circled the chairs, sorry kinda hard to see