Monday, April 19, 2010

Fuegita’s Foods

Inspired by Angela’s “Baking With Angela” segment, I would do my own. Part of my wanting to try the vegetarian experiment was to eat healthier foods. Which for the first 30 days really didn’t happen much, went to Taco Bell way too much. Every Wed. in the Kansas City Star, they have recipes, which I like to copy, but have only made one of them once. Last week I thought it would be cool to do a segment making those recipes. Then I got to thinking how a lot of weeks there are no recipes that sound good to me so I don’t copy any down. I have the first 2 Hungry Girl books, so I’m going to start there. Also, while I am still doing my vegetarian experiment, I will be doing vegetarian recipes.

I love Hungry Girl, everyone should go buy her books or at least go to her website and sign up for her newsletter. She sends out a daily email, sometimes with recipes and sometimes answering readers questions. She has a lot of recipes that are normally high calorie and what I call bar food. There are recipes for nachos, taco salad, and burgers. She has recipes for all meals and snacks, desserts and drinks. Even low cal versions of Starbucks! I haven’t cooked from her book in a long time, and I really should, so I think this is a great opportunity.

So, for tonight’s dinner I made
Oatstanding Veggie Patties

Ingredients

1/3 cup regular oats (not instant)
1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal
1 cup diced onions
1 cup red and green bell peppers
1 cup diced mushrooms
1 cup diced green beans
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
2 tsps. light or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions

In a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Set aside.

Next, place oats in a small dish. Add about 1/3 cup of boiling water to oats (just enough to cover them) and set aside as well.

In a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray, cook vegetables for 5mins over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove pot from heat and transfer veggies, with a slotted spoon, into a large bowl. Allow veggies to cool for several minutes. (If veggies have a lot of excess moisture, use a paper towel to soak it up.)

Add softened oats, ground Fiber One, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and egg substitute to veggies. Stir thoroughly to combine. Make sure mixture is well blended.

Form mixture into 5 balls and place them on a large plate. Cover and allow to cool and set in the fridge for several hours.

Using a spatula, flatten them into patties in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray and cook for about 5minutes per side over medium heat.

Makes 5 Servings.
Per Serving: 70 Calories, .5g fat, 585mg sodium, 16g carbs, 5g fiber, 3g sugars, 4g protein

 P4190512

Here is before I cooked the patties

P4190513

Here is the patties cooked.

P4190516

Here is our full meal. I forgot to mix the mushrooms in with the rest of the veggies so I sautéed them and put them on top. We had southern hashbrowns with it. For dessert, we had strawberry shortcake.