Thursday, April 8, 2010

The secret is fiber

I learned something the other day that I thought was pretty cool. In Hungry Girls newsletter yesterday, and she talked about Flexitarians. Now this is the first time I had ever heard this term.

flex·i·tar·i·an (flěk'sĭ-târ'ē-ən)  
n.  One who normally maintains a vegetarian diet but occasionally makes exceptions and eats meat or fish.
adj.  Of or relating to a diet that is primarily vegetarian but includes meat or fish on occasion.

When I read this, I thought it was really awesome. I’m on day 25 of 30 that I wanted to experiment with being vegetarian. I don’t really miss meat thanks to Boca burgers. Though occasionally I do find myself thinking about foods with meat and want to be able to eat them. I think eventually I will be more flexitarian, hopefully. Right now, being close to the end of the 30 days, I don’t think I have accomplished what I wanted to. I want to eat healthier and learn and make new recipes. The first week, we did awesome. Then after that it’s gone downhill. More times than I would like, Taco Bell, since they have those awesome potato tacos. I tried the burritos and cheesy bean burritos, not nearly as good as the taco. I like that they have something vegetarian besides salad. So I think I’m going to continue this little experiment on at least another 30 days.

                The main goal of this experiment, as I said, was to eat healthier. I don’t think I have really done that. Being that I’m trying vegetarian and not vegan, I still eat way more sugary good foods that I shouldn’t. The first week of the experiment I lost 2.5lbs. It was great. Though I still ate a couple of cupcakes and donuts. I can’t help but to think, what if I hadn’t had that one more cupcake or that one more donut? How much would I have lost then? I don’t want to deny myself anything and torture myself, but on the other hand, I don’t want to so dependent on it or crave it a lot. In college, I lost a lot of weight, almost 100lbs (which I have put back on since moving to the metro). I was at a point where I had no desire for sugar what so ever. I really want to get to that point again, but man it’s frickin hard. I don’t know how I was able to do it before but I am determined to do it again.

                Also, after watching that episode of House about the blogger that became vegetarian, I think it is important that I talk about my um..bathroom habits. If I learned anything from House, it was if you become a vegetarian, and are a blogger, you better talk about your poop, otherwise doctors won’t know how to save me when I start dying from some unknown at the time thing. I don’t want to scare people and really go too much into TMI, so I’m just going to say, Fiber powder, like metamucil, is my friend.